Friday, May 25, 2018

Blue Striped Dress | Tulip Picking

A little taste of Holland in the DMV area.

Tulip picking is the activity of Spring, people travel as far as Holland or Washington state, to see those beautiful, massive fields.
Good news for us in the DMV area, we don't have to travel that far to go tulip picking.
Burnside Farms are my favorite farms around the area; the owner has a great eye for decoration. When I first met her she told me how they used to own a flower/decoration shop in D.C., but lost it to the recession, so decorating the farms for her customers was something she really enjoyed doing. Burnside has two locations, one farm for Spring and Summer, and one for Fall and Winter, honestly I can't decide which one is my favorite one.
I have been a loyal customer of Burnside Farms since 2016, when I first discovered their beautiful pumpkin patch in Haymarket (click here to see post and her beautiful decorations).

This year I was sad to hear that their tulip crops did not bloom as expected due to the harsh winter, nevertheless, Kiani and I went out and supported them anyway.
















When we arrived we were very pleased, there was a few acres of flowers to pick from. I was able to pick out a dozen tulips and they even made it into a bouquet for me.

I highly recommend going to their website before making a trip out there. They close for short periods of time to prepare for the next season, so you want to make sure they are open.

Tulip season is usually  April through early May. The recommended time to go woud be the middle of April where the tulips are in full bloom.

*Always check their website and Facebook page, they post accurate pictures of the crops as the weeks go by.* 





Like I said earlier, they go all out. This year they really made sure you thought you were in Holland. They had the shoes and even a passport booth at the entrance.
(no passport needed)
Which reminds me, there is an entrance fee. (check the website for info)

Here is a picture from years before. Picture is not mine, obtain from website.

Maybe next year we are lucky and able to see fields like this.
Until next time,


         

        

No comments:

Post a Comment